Local News Links:... .........................

Tuesday 27 December 2016

New computer time for West End Dumplings !

My laptop in better times. (Ruth Bonneville / Winnipeg Free Press)

It's new computer time for West End Dumplings and I am hoping that those who have enjoyed my work over the past nine years will chip in at my Fundrazr.com site to help me get one.

No donation is too big or too small.

The research I do for my blogs, walking tours, radio show and just answering inquiries requires a speedy, robust computer to access image rich archival websites. My 2011 Lenovo ThinkPad doesn't always cut it. 

Contrary to what some think, I receive no grants to cover this work and it is not in any way part of my day job. Because of their niche nature, the blogs themselves don't generate enough clicks to be monetized through advertising.

This is simply a labour of love done on my own time. I am passionate about local history and want to share it.

While I am still willing to put in the time, I was hoping that those who enjoy the work can help out with some of the capital costs.

In return, I will keep the research coming and for the few events I do charge for, like my Historic Hotel Pub Crawl, (part 2 is coming in 2017!), you can come as many times as you like for free.


My $2,000 ask is to cover the cost of something like a Lenovo T460 or HP Envy 15T laptop, both advertised at their respective manufacturer's websites at around $1,500. The rest is for basic software, taxes and the cut of the fundraising website. The computer will be purchased from a local store to keep the money in the local economy.

If this amount is way more than I need, the leftover will be donated to a Manitoba heritage-related project or museum.

For more information, check out my fundraising site at Fundrazr.com or email me at cassidy(at)mts.net!

No comments: