Dr. Jody Perrun of the University of Winnipeg will launch his book The Patriotic Consensus: Unity, Morale, and the Second World War in Winnipeg on Thursday, October 2nd at McNally Robinson. We'll talk about what it was like here in Winnipeg during WWII.
Also, we will talk about last week's announcement that the remains of four Canadian soldiers from World War I have been identified.
Here are just a few of the events that will be commemorated next week in Manitoba history. For more, be sure to check out This Was Manitoba each morning !
- The 150th anniversary of the death of Chief Peguis, (also.)
- The arrival of "Spanish" influenza in Manitoba
- The unveiling of the Little Black Devils monument
- The Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre opens
- The opening of Memorial Park across from the Legislature
- Rudyard Kipling's speech to the Canadian Club of Winnipeg
The Play List
We'll Meet Again by Dame Vera Lynn, (the U.K.'s oldest top 20 artist !)
Universal Soldier by Buffy Saint-Marie
Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Judy Garland. (The Wizard of Oz debuted in Winnipeg on September 21, 1939 - 75 years ago - at the Capitol Theatre !)
Goldfinger (James Bond Theme) - Dame Shirley Bassey, (released 50 years ago !)
Citizen Kane Suite by Bernard Herrmann