Local News Links:... .........................

Friday 18 October 2013

"Winnipeg Modern Brush" tucked away on Notre Dame Avenue


Winnipeg Modern Brush Co. 
My latest post at Winnipeg Downtown Places is about the Winnipeg Modern Brush Company building at 422 Notre Dame. It's one of those building that if it were downtown or in the Exchange it would likely have received attention from the heritage buildings committee or related groups but, alas, it is not, so its history has been ignored.


In the 90s and 00s it was most notable for Andrew Syzak, son of the company's owners, who sat out front and sold brooms and mops. Prior to that it was Winnipeg's Legion Branch No. 1 and was built in 1899 as Manitoba's first College of Pharmacy. The architect was Frank Peters who also designed the Manitoba Club, Cornish Library and Ashdown Warehouse.

7 comments:

Photography by Michele said...

I've never really noticed this building before. I'll have to look next time on Notre Dame.

Thanks for sharing

Desufcuks said...

who is the current owner?

I loved this place a kid. I lived on notre dame and this always made me curious.

Will said...

I think you mean 422, not 244! :)

Christian Cassidy said...

Thanks 422 is what I meant !

As for the current owner, I don't know. there are sure no signs of anyone there now except that the hydro line running through the back yard has been marked. Perhaps someone will be digging soon ?

Unknown said...

pedrocosta@shaw.ca new owner

Christian Cassidy said...

Thanks Goretti. I am going to email him to see if there's a chance I can go inside sometime to document the building's interior. Do you know if his intentions are to demolish or to renovate?

Unknown said...

I personally have worked on that building and probably saved ot from being demolished as it had extensive rain and water damage to the point it wasnt standing on its own it had to be held up with many teleposts