Local News Links:... .........................

Sunday 6 November 2011

Remembrance: Manitoba war memorials

When I drive around Manitoba I try to stop into as many towns and villages as I can to check them out. One place in particular that I visit is their war memorial. There's something especially sad visiting a small town that maybe had a couple of hundred people and see a tablet full of names in front of you. A generation wiped out by war.

Each year around Remembrance Day I post a selection of my photos from the year before but this time I thought I would try something a bit different: a video. Below is a collage of 100 or so Manitoba war memorials from Arborg to Winnipeg.

I will have a couple more Remembrance Day related posts as the week goes on.



If the embedding doesn't work, here is the link.
For stills of the photos that include place names see my Flickr album.
For Veterans' Affairs links to Canadian memorials across the country and around the world.

Music links used in video:

Green Fields of France
Written by Eric Bogle, sung by June Tabor ca. 1977
MP3 source

Abide with me / Oh Valiant Heart
Written by Henry Lyte, performed by the Royal Military College Band, Australia
Mp3 source

The Maple Leaf Forever
Written by Alexander Muir, sung by Edward Johnson ca. 1928
MP3 source from Library and Archives Canada's The Virtual Gramophone

No comments: