Local News Links:... .........................

Tuesday 4 May 2010

The Walker as you'll never see It


While doing research for a post about the Walker Theatre for my Downtown Places blog I came across this neat drawing of the way the finished product was supposed to look - with the hotel that was to be built around it ! I placed an image of the current stone facade underneath where it would have fit into the complex.

I always wondered why the theatre had such an odd looking facade !


I couldn't find specific information as to why the hotel phase was never built but the Walkers likely kept an eye on the Marlborough Hotel just a block away which had quite a terrible start getting off the ground.

Image source:
Winnipeg Morning Telegram May 31, 1906

2 comments:

cancelbot said...

If only!

Bryan Scott said...

Great find. That image really does answer a lot of questions I've always had about The Walker.